Friday, 12 November 2010

Road to nowhere...


The Darulaman Palace, a European style Palace built by Amanullah Khan in the 1920s is located a mile away from my house. It has been heavily damaged throughout the century. In the 1960s it was heavily gutted by fire, then housed the Kabul Museum (now across the road), followed by the Defense Ministry and was finally reduced to its dilapidated state by heavy shelling of competing Mujahideen factions during the civil war. 


Last weekend, my friends and I made a visit to the Palace, I was under the impression, it would be deserted, due to its pathetic state, however, I was wrong. Not only did the Palace retain its imposing grandeur despite the rubble strewn floors, but it was hustling and bustling with Kuchis who made it their home. 


Kuchis are nomads. For more than 3000 years, the kuchis were pre-eminent transporters and traders and served as a mobile bridge between Afghanistan and south asia. They are self- sufficient people. Their prized possessions include their family, their goats, sheep, camels, donkeys and tents. No baggage, few attachments, free spirits traveling light. I had found some kindred souls!

The Kuchis staying in the Darulaman Palace migrated from Pakistan about three months ago. UNICEF has pitched tents in the Palace courtyard and runs a school for the displaced kuchi children in the day. At first, they were very territorial and refused to let us "curious" tourists in their space. We got talking to them in Dari and Urdu and they gradually let their guard down and offered to have the women come into the palace. So of we went (Sarah-jean, Sara and I) Lucky girls!

I asked one of them if they were happy or sad to be living in a palace. It was ironic to say the least. He said ' We're not materialistc, we don't care about things, we're nomadic people. We migrate from one place to another. Here, we are like birds in a cage.

They were very amused with our cameras and asked us to take photographs of them. We promised to print photos and bring back hard copies in a couple days or so.

Fredrik Barth, a Norwegian anthropologist said once, The wealthiest and the poorest kuchi  (when pushed to extremes of the spectrum ) will tend to settle down and give up his nomadic migratory cycle.  
 “A pastoral family needs a minimum herd size in order to survive. A wealthy nomad, might experience diminishing returns as his herd size increases and may decide to diversify into investing in land and/or into trade. The poorest lose their herds in times of crisis, going into debt and then selling-off animals to pay off the debt.

Waiting in line for drinking water






Years of war and displacement pushed these Kuchis to settle in one place, not out of free will. Being "nomadic" is being stable for Kuchis. 


In contrast, I have always had the luxury of free will. Is it a choice or fate or destiny ? I am not sure. Maybe a mix of everything.


Moving to Afghanistan presented an extreme situation for me on my life continuum that grounded me from within resulting in a deep appreciation for stability. My spirit was never curtailed, always nurtured by my parents, enabling it to experience so much. Today, I realize its value and understand that stability doesn’t have to be at the cost of clipping ones wings.  
Even though my free spirit identified with theirs, I walked away steady... with clarity and comfort on my path of life – however, the kuchis were left standing there trapped in their palace, like birds in a cage; no hope, a few promised photographs and lost on a road to nowhere…

























7 comments:

  1. Well written Rimoo, there is no other way to parent you other than offer free space. Never in my wildest dreams did I think you will ever explore Afghanistan. The Kuchis found the palace hopefully you shall find a "Road to Somewhere" please find a PALACE .....Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmmm...always enjoy your updates girl!Road to nowhere?!! not sure...like you said stability can mean so many things...and for them this nomadic existence is the only thing they have known so its familiar, comfortable...putting down roots might seem scary, who knows! and so that 'nowhere' is 'somewhere'

    As for you...you are somewhere...I would like to think you ARE on the road to somewhere you were destined to be....you will soon find your Palace too...tell Aunty you will find your Palace soon...

    lots of love and faith,
    S

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this beautiful passage and for sharing this experience. You are free and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello dear Free Spirit,
    The palace looks stunning and the pictures of the Kuchi nomads are very touching, particularly those of children...

    What most touched me however was to read how you have reached a certain stability within, which allows you to continue experiencing humanity through your many incursions into other cultures and interactions with people from other countries rather enriching yourself than losing yourself, which is what I believe a true free spirit to be indeed. :-)

    Aline

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very moving piece Rima. So much in the words to reflect on. Thanks for taking us inside of this rich culture and for giving people such as the Kuchi a voice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see the differences between generations as being not only about age and circumstances of life/upbriging. It's like, different kinds of people come into this world in different times. When I look into these children I don't see today's children, I see today's 60+ years old adults as children. Hopefully they will experience a transformation in their society that is similar to the one the oldest people in more developed countries did.

    ReplyDelete