
I arrived in Kabul three weeks ago. Even though I've lived here before, I have returned with a new employer and had to undergo standard security procedures and protocol. One such procedure was receiving my BlackBerry and learning how to use the GPS secure locator. This application tracks your movements at all times.
While I was undergoing my training in the office to test how the GPS locator works, I was shown a large computer screen with a map of the area I live and work in Kabul and with one click we narrowed down to our office that displayed all my office mates in the office as it should. However, I was not on the screen. After several attempts to scroll up and down the enlarged digital map of the office to find me, my security head clicked on my name. Seconds later, we followed the navigator outside the office, 300 miles away on a mountain top... thats where the GPS secure application picked up my Blackberry signal. Confused and bewildered, my security folks suggested they keep my Blackberry for 24 hours to make sense of this confusion. Never had it happened before. I laughed and thought to myself "this BlackBerry has my name on it. My free spirited soul cannot be contained... welcome to Afghanistan, Rima ! "
Haha! Nice, nice! By calling your blog "My free spirit", you hit the nail right on the center of the head!
ReplyDeleteJust realised your blog is not called "My free spirit. You may wanna consider re-christening it!
ReplyDeletegood point. I might do, VS
ReplyDeleteGreat start. I expect you to write about the society, especially women, children, culture, music, small moments of fun apart from politics.
ReplyDeleteThank You Rekha! Yes, I will be writing more about those topics. I will have to be discreet in sharing photos as its at the cost of their security. But stay tuned, I have one on Afghan Art coming up in my next weekly Blog.
ReplyDeleteRima, I know you just a little bit better now. Thanks. I am riveted. Please keep writing. You have at least one bright eyed, avid listener, me! Love you.
ReplyDeletePs: Has the confusion been resolved? more importantly, has the damn BB been returned to you?
Keep going babes, tell us about the art and culture of the country, tired of hearing on their troubles...... Grandfathers will be tired in heaven chasing you babes
ReplyDeleteHi snook! Thanks. Do I know you personally ? Just curious, but I am glad the sneak preview peaked your curiosity, next week will be more about Afghan Artists and local art. Yes, about the BB! They realized that sometimes due the fluctuation of the internet receptivity, it can cause the GPS navigation to hang. Very rare, but to locate me on a mountain top was even more Bizarre! ha....
ReplyDeleteLove it Rima, so true about the difficulty if not impossibility of containing a free spirit like you. Looking forward to the discoveries and adventures of your spirit & soul!!
ReplyDeletegreat to follow u here :) xxx
ReplyDeleteWay to go my free spirit........ that u nor ur beautiful spirit can be contained is common knowledge now..... good to hear from you...... really interested in understanding life there which goes beyond all the issues we hear and see...... just like there is more to india than snake charmers and elephants on the road!!! .......
ReplyDeletetake care...
what a splendid idea. finally you're blogging. that's great news. your perspective on Afghanistan will be a great addition. stay well and safe until we meet soon.
ReplyDeletexox
dalia
Hi Rimco,just got back from my grand holiday, which i was planning forever. I always thought only Arun blogs, but now reading your updated keeps us all connected.GOOD TO KNOW all is well at your end
ReplyDeleteLove U
That phone better watch out if it knows what's good for it!
ReplyDeleteFrom GC: La proxima vez que compres un telefono, ponle un collar y una cuerda.
ReplyDeleteRimoo: Great start for something atleast I have been wanting you to do. Will be lovely to see, inhale,absorb and experience Afganistan through your sharp insightful introspections. Look forward to the next post. xoxo
ReplyDeleteFinally!!! Look forward to reading all about your adventure. Keep safe!! muuaaahhhh!!oh, will get on it with the skype thing :-)
ReplyDeleteThis is fantastic Rima, your idea of writing about your experiences there. Very interesting. I didn't know you were in Afghanistan again. How long will you be there for. How does it feel being tracked? Is it safe to blog about it?
ReplyDeleteI have to run now and cook supper, poor me but will check in later. How regularly do you post?
writing about your experiences and time spent in afghanistan is just what was needed! your pictures have always spoken a thousand words. I look forward to more updates on your blog.
ReplyDeleteI love the idea of a rebellious Blackberry... now that's irony!
ReplyDeleteI love it. Keep up the writing, write for yourself, and pretend we're not here -- the best writing is personal and specific and can only be written by you, just like this piece. Can't wait to read more.
ReplyDeleteXo
Alex
Hey Rim
ReplyDeleteWonderful start and I will be a captivated reader on this blog. For a free spirit you certainly make a lot of attachments along the way..your friends are a testament to that (18 years and counting)
love u babe and keep safe and keep writing!!
The various coloured wings of a butterfly like you will always flutter and fly to discover new places and people. keep up the wandering spirit. Jamshed
ReplyDeleteThere will always be only one "Babe"! Hip Hip Hurray!
ReplyDeletePs: When you spoke, you always captivated your audience... I can actually "hear" you saying all this!
ReplyDeleteOne day, may you be published! Amen!
Way to go Lovely! Look forward to reading your posts!!!
ReplyDeleteXXX
Swati
Dearest Rima,
ReplyDeletethank you so much for this blog. I love it.
When we hear about Afghanistan every thing is gloomy and sad and deadly serious and scary.
So I began to have doubts and lose faith of beautiful side of Afghanistan. I almost thought maybe I am an idealist and seeing things that are not real. You just reminded me YES, Afghanistan has the beautiful spirit and its beautiful people and I should never forget it.
Thanks for that rebelious wild free spirit, you make me feel so good.
I congratulate you on this beautiful blog keep up the good work.
SECURITY? What is that?
love
shqipe
u were always the born free live free with a free spirit kind, and now it shows in your blogs, proud of you Rimco
ReplyDeleteRimu
ReplyDeleteKeeping doing well - good to read about all the great things you are upto
Beans